Model-Based Design and Qualification of Complex Systems
This is a joint project with John Doyle, funded by Boeing. This page primarily describes the work done in Richard Murray's group.
The broad goal of this project is to develop new theory, algorithms and demonstrations of model-based design strategies for complex systems. This activity is broken up into three broad themes:
Robust Yet Fragile Behavior: Study the robust-yet-fragile (RYF) nature of complex systems, and specifically to identify the common structures contributing to the RYF behavior, and develop both simple explanatory and detailed predictive models with associated analysis tools.
Multi-scale Modeling: Systems modeling theory and practice with emphasis on multi-resolution modeling, and managing multiple distinct product representations that must be mapped to each other.
Engineering Implementation: Apply analysis and methods in robust-yet-fragile behavior and multi-scale modeling to specific engineering systems of systems that will provide an evaluation of the efficacy of both the framework and the tools toward applications. Two specific testbeds are being used for this purpose: the Caltech multi-vehicle wireless testbed (MVWT) and the Caltech autonomous vehicle testbed ("Alice").
- D. Alderson, L. Li, W. Willinger, and J. C. Doyle. Understanding Internet topology: Principles, models, and validation. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(6), 2005.
- D. Alderson and L. Li. On the Diversity of Graph with Highly Variable Connectivity. Physical Review E, 2007.
- D. Alderson and W. Willinger. A contrasting look at self-organization in the Internet and next-generation communication networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2005.
- F. Borrelli and T. Keviczky. Distributed LQR design for identical dynamically decoupled systems. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 2007, submitted.
- J. M. B. Braman, D. A. Wagner and R. M. Murray. Fault Tolerance of a Reconfigurable Autonomous Goal-Based Robotic Control System. 2007 International Confeerence on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2007.
- L. Chen, T. Ho, S. H. Low, M. Chiang and J. C. Doyle, Optimization Based Rate Control for Multicast with Network Coding, Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2007.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, M. Chiang, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer congestion control, routing and scheduling design in ad hoc wireless networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2006.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Joint congestion control and media access control design for wireless ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2005.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low and J. C. Doyle, Random Access Game and Medium Access Control Design, submitted, technical report, 2006.
- L. B. Cremean, T. B. Foote, J. H. Gillula, G. H. Hines, D. Kogan, K. L. Kriechbaum, J. C. Lamb, J. Leibs, L. Lindzey, C. E. Rasmussen, A. D. Stewart, J. W. Burdick, and R. M. Murray. Alice: An information-rich autonomous vehicle for high-speed desert navigation. Journal of Field Robotics, 2007.
- T. Cui, T. Ho and L. Chen, On Distributed Distortion Optimization for Correlated Sources with Network Coding, Proceedings of IEEE ISIT, 2007.
- T. Cui, L. Chen and T. Ho, Opportunistic Source Coding for Data Gathering in Wireless Sensor Networks, technical report, 2007.
- J.-C. Delvenne, H. Sandberg, and J. C. Doyle. Thermodynamics of Linear Systems. In Proceedings of the European Control Conference, 2007.
- J. C. Doyle, D. Alderson, L. Li, S. Low, M. Roughan, S. Shalunov, R. Tanaka, and W. Willinger. The ``robust yet fragile nature of the Internet. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102(41):14497--14502, 2005.
- D. Gayme, J. C Doyle, S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, and Maryam Fazel. Optimization based methods for determining basins of attraction in the logistic map and set membership in the mandelbrot set. Preprint, 2006.
- D. Gayme, M. Fazel, and J. C. Doyle. Sos proofs of invariant regions in the logistic map. In Proc. IEEE Control and Decision Conference, 2006. Submitted.
- S. Glavaski, A. Papachristodoulou, and K. Ariyur. Safety verification of controlled advanced life support system using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2005.
- D. Kogan. Realtime path planning through optimization methods. Master's thesis, California Institute of Technology, 2005.
- L. Li, D. Alderson, J. C. Doyle and W. Willinger. Towards a Theory of Scale-Free Graphs: Definition, Properties, and Implications. Internet Mathematics 2(4), p 431-523, Mar. 2006.
- L. Li, D. Alderson, W. Willinger and J. C. Doyle. A First-Principles Approach to Understanding the Internet's Router-level Topology. Proceedings of ACM Sigcomm, 2004,
- S. H. Low, J. C. Doyle, L. Li, A. Tang, J. Wang, Optimization Model of Internet Protocols, Proceedings of ACM Sigmetrics, June 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Safety verification of hybrid systems using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Methods for safety verification of time-delay systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2005.
- S. Prajna, A. Jadbabaie, and G. J. Pappas. Stochastic safety verification using barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, P. J. Seiler, and P. A. Parrilo. SOSTOOLS -- Sum of Squares Optimization Toolbox, User's Guide. Available at http://www.cds.caltech.edu/sostools and http://www.mit.edu/~parrilo/sostools, 2002, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. On the necessity of barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IFAC World Congress, 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. Primal-dual tests for safety and reachability. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control. Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- H. Sandberg, J.-C. Delvenne, and J. C. Doyle. The Statistical Mechanics of Fluctuation-Dissipation and Measurement Back Action. In Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2007.
- H. Sandberg, J.-C. Delvenne, and J. C. Doyle. Linear-Quadratic-Gaussian Heat Engines. Submitted, 2007.
- H. Sandberg and R. M. Murray. Frequency-Weighted Model Reduction with Applications to Structured Models. In Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2007.
- J. Wang, L. Li, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer optimization in tcp/ip networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(3), 2006.