Model-Based Design and Qualification of Complex Systems
This is a joint project with John Doyle, funded by Boeing. This page primarily describes the work done in Richard Murray's group.
The broad goal of this project is to develop new theory, algorithms and demonstrations of model-based design strategies for complex systems. This activity is broken up into three broad themes:
Robust Yet Fragile Behavior: Study the robust-yet-fragile (RYF) nature of complex systems, and specifically to identify the common structures contributing to the RYF behavior, and develop both simple explanatory and detailed predictive models with associated analysis tools.
Multi-scale Modeling: Systems modeling theory and practice with emphasis on multi-resolution modeling, and managing multiple distinct product representations that must be mapped to each other.
Engineering Implementation: Apply analysis and methods in robust-yet-fragile behavior and multi-scale modeling to specific engineering systems of systems that will provide an evaluation of the efficacy of both the framework and the tools toward applications. Two specific testbeds are being used for this purpose: the Caltech multi-vehicle wireless testbed (MVWT) and the Caltech autonomous vehicle testbed ("Alice").
- D. Alderson, L. Li, W. Willinger, and J. C. Doyle. Understanding Internet topology: Principles, models, and validation. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(6), 2005.
- D. Alderson and W. Willinger. A contrasting look at self-organization in the Internet and next-generation communication networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2005.
- L. Chen, T. Ho, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer rate control and scheduling in wireless networks with network coding. Technical report, In preparation, 2006.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, M. Chiang, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer congestion control, routing and scheduling design in ad hoc wireless networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2006.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Joint congestion control and media access control design for wireless ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2005.
- L. B. Cremean, T. B. Foote, J. H. Gillula, G. H. Hines, D. Kogan, K. L. Kriechbaum, J. C. Lamb, J. Leibs, L. Lindzey, C. E. Rasmussen, A. D. Stewart, J. W. Burdick, and R. M. Murray. Alice: An information-rich autonomous vehicle for high-speed desert navigation. Journal of Field Robotics, 2006. To appear.
- J. C. Doyle, D. Alderson, L. Li, S. Low, M. Roughan, S. Shalunov, R. Tanaka, and W. Willinger. The ``robust yet fragile nature of the Internet. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102(41):14497--14502, 2005.
- D. Gayme, J. C Doyle, S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, and Maryam Fazel. Optimization based methods for determining basins of attraction in the logistic map and set membership in the mandelbrot set. Preprint, 2006.
- D. Gayme, M. Fazel, and J. C. Doyle. Sos proofs of invariant regions in the logistic map. In Proc. IEEE Control and Decision Conference, 2006. Submitted.
- S. Glavaski, A. Papachristodoulou, and K. Ariyur. Safety verification of controlled advanced life support system using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2005.
- D. Kogan. Realtime path planning through optimization methods. Master's thesis, California Institute of Technology, 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Safety verification of hybrid systems using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Methods for safety verification of time-delay systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2005.
- S. Prajna, A. Jadbabaie, and G. J. Pappas. Stochastic safety verification using barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, P. J. Seiler, and P. A. Parrilo. SOSTOOLS -- Sum of Squares Optimization Toolbox, User's Guide. Available at http://www.cds.caltech.edu/sostools and http://www.mit.edu/~parrilo/sostools, 2002, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. On the necessity of barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IFAC World Congress, 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. Primal-dual tests for safety and reachability. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control. Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- J. Wang, L. Li, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer optimization in tcp/ip networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(3), 2006.