Difference between revisions of "Model-Based Design and Qualification of Complex Systems"
|Line 43:||Line 43:|
Revision as of 17:10, 5 May 2008
The broad goal of this project is to develop new theory, algorithms and demonstrations of model-based design strategies for complex systems. This activity is broken up into three broad themes:
Systems Modeling Theory and Practice: Development of modeling and analysis tools, with emphasis on hierarchies of simulations that can be used for verification and testing at different levels of fidelity. A key issue is the development of multiple simulations that can be combined to form high fidelity models while at the same time being used in simpler combinations for rapid testing of higher level functions (where highly detailed models are too large or too slow to allow exploration of the relevant design space).
Engineering Implementation: Apply analysis and methods in robust-yet-fragile behavior and multi-scale modeling to specific engineering systems of systems that will provide an evaluation of the efficacy of both the framework and the tools toward applications. Two specific testbeds are being used for this purpose: the Caltech multi-vehicle wireless testbed (MVWT) and the Caltech autonomous vehicle testbed ("Alice").
Multiscale Analysis of Complex Systems: Study novel approaches to multiscale analysis based on methodologies and techniques developed for physical dynamical systems. To develop the required methodologies and techniques we are focusing on an archetype complex system which may contain a multitude of scales, namely collections of disparate coupled nonlinear oscillators where each oscillator may have its own natural frequency.
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, Failure Probability of Verifiable Goal-based Control Programs due to State Estimation Uncertainty. Conference on Decision and Control, 2008 (submitted).
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, Conversion and Verification Procedure for Goal-Based Control Programs. CDS Technical Report, California Institute of Technology, 2007.
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, David A Wagner, Safety Verification of a Fault Tolerant Reconfigurable Autonomous Goal-Based Robotic Control System. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2007
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, Michel D Ingham, Verification Procedure for Generalized Goal-based Control Programs. AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference and Exhibit, 2007.
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, Safety Verification of Fault Tolerant Goal-based Control Programs with Estimation Uncertainty. American Control Conference, 2008 (to appear).
- Julia M B Braman, Richard M Murray, Automatic Conversion Software for the Safety Verification of Goal-based Control Programs. Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2008 (submitted).
- D. Alderson and L. Li. On the Diversity of Graph with Highly Variable Connectivity. Physical Review E, 2007.
- F. Borrelli and T. Keviczky. Distributed LQR design for identical dynamically decoupled systems. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 2007, submitted.
- J. M. B. Braman, D. A. Wagner and R. M. Murray. Fault Tolerance of a Reconfigurable Autonomous Goal-Based Robotic Control System. 2007 International Confeerence on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2007.
- L. Chen, T. Ho, S. H. Low, M. Chiang and J. C. Doyle, Optimization Based Rate Control for Multicast with Network Coding, Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2007.
- L. B. Cremean, T. B. Foote, J. H. Gillula, G. H. Hines, D. Kogan, K. L. Kriechbaum, J. C. Lamb, J. Leibs, L. Lindzey, C. E. Rasmussen, A. D. Stewart, J. W. Burdick, and R. M. Murray. Alice: An information-rich autonomous vehicle for high-speed desert navigation. Journal of Field Robotics, 2007.
- T. Cui, T. Ho and L. Chen, On Distributed Distortion Optimization for Correlated Sources with Network Coding, Proceedings of IEEE ISIT, 2007.
- T. Cui, L. Chen and T. Ho, Opportunistic Source Coding for Data Gathering in Wireless Sensor Networks, technical report, 2007.
- J.-C. Delvenne, H. Sandberg, and J. C. Doyle. Thermodynamics of Linear Systems. In Proceedings of the European Control Conference, 2007.
- H. Sandberg, J.-C. Delvenne, and J. C. Doyle. The Statistical Mechanics of Fluctuation-Dissipation and Measurement Back Action. In Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2007.
- H. Sandberg, J.-C. Delvenne, and J. C. Doyle. Linear-Quadratic-Gaussian Heat Engines. Submitted, 2007.
- H. Sandberg and R. M. Murray. Frequency-Weighted Model Reduction with Applications to Structured Models. In Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2007.
- J. Wang, L. Li, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer optimization in tcp/ip networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(3), 2006.
- D. Alderson, L. Li, W. Willinger, and J. C. Doyle. Understanding Internet topology: Principles, models, and validation. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 13(6), 2005.
- D. Alderson and W. Willinger. A contrasting look at self-organization in the Internet and next-generation communication networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2005.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, M. Chiang, and J. C. Doyle. Cross-layer congestion control, routing and scheduling design in ad hoc wireless networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2006.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low, and J. C. Doyle. Joint congestion control and media access control design for wireless ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of IEEE Infocom, 2005.
- L. Chen, S. H. Low and J. C. Doyle, Random Access Game and Medium Access Control Design, submitted, technical report, 2006.
- J. C. Doyle, D. Alderson, L. Li, S. Low, M. Roughan, S. Shalunov, R. Tanaka, and W. Willinger. The ``robust yet fragile nature of the Internet. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 102(41):14497--14502, 2005.
- D. Gayme, J. C Doyle, S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, and Maryam Fazel. Optimization based methods for determining basins of attraction in the logistic map and set membership in the mandelbrot set. Preprint, 2006.
- D. Gayme, M. Fazel, and J. C. Doyle. Sos proofs of invariant regions in the logistic map. In Proc. IEEE Control and Decision Conference, 2006. Submitted.
- S. Glavaski, A. Papachristodoulou, and K. Ariyur. Safety verification of controlled advanced life support system using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2005.
- D. Kogan. Realtime path planning through optimization methods. Master's thesis, California Institute of Technology, 2005.
- L. Li, D. Alderson, J. C. Doyle and W. Willinger. Towards a Theory of Scale-Free Graphs: Definition, Properties, and Implications. Internet Mathematics 2(4), p 431-523, Mar. 2006.
- L. Li, D. Alderson, W. Willinger and J. C. Doyle. A First-Principles Approach to Understanding the Internet's Router-level Topology. Proceedings of ACM Sigcomm, 2004,
- S. H. Low, J. C. Doyle, L. Li, A. Tang, J. Wang, Optimization Model of Internet Protocols, Proceedings of ACM Sigmetrics, June 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Safety verification of hybrid systems using barrier certificates. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Jadbabaie. Methods for safety verification of time-delay systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2005.
- S. Prajna, A. Jadbabaie, and G. J. Pappas. Stochastic safety verification using barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2004.
- S. Prajna, A. Papachristodoulou, P. J. Seiler, and P. A. Parrilo. SOSTOOLS -- Sum of Squares Optimization Toolbox, User's Guide. Available at http://www.cds.caltech.edu/sostools and http://www.mit.edu/~parrilo/sostools, 2002, 2004.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. On the necessity of barrier certificates. In Proceedings of the IFAC World Congress, 2005.
- S. Prajna and A. Rantzer. Primal-dual tests for safety and reachability. In Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control. Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- Annual report, May 2007 to April 2008
- Annual report, January 2005 to March 2006
- Annual report, March 2006 to April 2007