Group Backpacking Hiking Trip
Group Backpacking Hiking Trip
Mary and Zhipu are organizing Murray's Group backpacking trip this year. They tried to narrow down the details according to Richard's "Devil" schedule and other tradeoffs. There were three date options and two trail choices. They received a tremendous response from the group members and the current winner is (D2 T2)! A reservation request for the camping permit has been sent out and the confirmation should be here in one week.
They will pick a date and a trail based on feedbacks from group members. A short information session will be given after the group meeting on Apr. 18, 2006.
- (D1) July 27 - July 30, 2006
- (D2) August 3 - August 6, 2006
- (D3) September 7 - September 10, 2006
All of them are from Thursday to Sunday.
- (T1) Agnew Meadows - Ediza Lake - Thousand Island Lake - PCT
* Nearby City: Mammoth Lakes, CA * Length: about 22 total miles * Trail Type: Loop with two small side trips * Skill Level: Moderate * Duration: Arrive Mammoth Lakes on Thu. and spend 3 days on the trail. * Driving Time to Destination: 7 hours * What the Guidebook Says:
"Scenic, enormous, granite-sprinkled Thousand Island Lake has become
a Sierra icon, due largely to the memorable black and white photographs
taken by Ansel Adams. The high peaks of the Ritter Range reflected in
the island-dotted lake surface are indeed spectacular... Ediza Lake enjoys
one of the loveliest settings of any lake in the Sierra Nevada... This is
a truely enjoyable hike, suitable for almost anyone."
- (T2) Rainbow Mtn. - Sawtooth Pass
* Nearby City: Mineral King, CA (South Part of Sequoia National Park) * Length: about 30 total miles * Trail Type: Loop * Skill Level: Moderate/Hard * Duration: Arrive Mineral King at Wed. night and use 4 days to finish the loop * Map of Sequoia NP: Media: pdf * Driving Time to Destination: 5.5 hours * What the Guidebook Says:
"Two scenic passes over the Great Western Divide, forested canyons and
beautiful lakes with excellent fishing make this Sequoia National
Park's most popular loop from Mineral King."
The following people have send their responses:
- Mary Dunlop - Prefer D1, D2, T2
- Zhipu Jin - Prefer D1, D2
- Richard Murray - I like the Mineral King option, if it is available (less driving, more hiking). Any of the dates are good for me, but there's a chance that I will need to fly out on 6 Aug for the east coast (⇒ I would need to come out on Saturday, 5 Aug). Prefer T2
- Clancy Rowley - Prefer D1(with his wife), D3
- Domitilla Del Vecchio - Prefer D2
- Fei Wang - Prefer D1, D2, T1 (with Chunhui)
- Michael Epstein - Prefer D2, D3
- Jean Charles Delvenne - Prefer D3
- John Carson - Prefer D2, D3
- Henrik Sandberg - Prefer D3, D2
- Ziad Fares - Prefer D1, D2
- Elisa Franco - Prefer D2, T2 (with Stefano)
- Sean Humbert - Prefer D1, D2, T2
- Lars Cremean - Prefer T2
- Sawyer Fuller - Prefer T2
- Ben Shapiro - Prefer D2, then D3
- Dave van Gogh - Prefer D2, T2
If your name isn't on this list, please send an e-mail to Zhipu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary (email@example.com).