WASC teleconference, 23 Oct 06
Caltech participants: Carolyn Ash, Miriam Feldblum, Henry Lester, Stacey Scoville, Barbara Green, David Goodstein, Richard Murray
WASC participants: ???
How will we consider student work?
- How will we investigate student work and student learning?
How does proposal fit in with the WASC guidelines?
- Teams will be used to WASC guidelines
- Eg, in depth discussion of what we are doing on diversity
- How will we use student work in the evaluation of learning outcomes?
- How do three topics track with the WASC standards
- By the time that the student graduates, need a way to evaluate the overall set of knowledge
- Not clear that we plan to do this in the couse of this review
Response 1: learning outcomes
- We evaluate students in a number of ways; involves evaluate of the results of research
- RMM response: we can use ABET like results
- Henry Lester: in biology, senior thesis + like to see students publishing papers
Response 2: WASC standards
- How do standards relate to WASC guidelines
- Need to map things onto the guidelines (Miriam will work on this)
- Need to plan on doing ABET-style analysis of learning outcomes