Yosemite Trip - 2015
We are organizing a winter Murray Group trip to Yosemite this year. This will be a fun and casual trip for all group members, there will be no special skills or special gear required.
Snowshoes, skis (downhill and cross country), and snowboards are available for rent at Yosemite for those in the group desiring to take part in such activities.
We've selected the trip date based on people's availability and Richard's schedule:
- 13-15 March, 2015
If you are interested in joining the group trip, email Zachary Sun. We will have housing openings up to two weeks' before departure.
- Friday - Meet your carpool from early morning to early afternoon and drive to Yosemite. Check into cabins.
- Saturday - Hang out at Yosemite. There are a couple of possible day activities depending on the snow state, including hiking, cross-country skiing, downhill skiing at Badger Pass, "research" if you're so inclined, or just hanging around camp :) Equipment can be rented at Yosemite.
- Sunday - Open activities (including day hikes or sleeping in) in the morning, return to Pasadena in the afternoon/evening.
Information about Yosemite
- Richard Murray, +1 - ___ departure
- Zachary Sun - ___ departure (can drive, room for 4)
- Ioannis Fillippidis
- Marcella Gomez, +1
- Samira Farahani
- Enoch Yeung, +1.5
- Yong Wu
- Vipul Singhal
- Sean Sanchez + 1
- Clare Hayes
- Yutaka Hori
- Emzo de los Santos
- Shaobin Guo + 1
- Anandh Swaminathan
- Ivan Papusha
- Victoria Hsiao
- Ania Baetica
- Vasu Raman, +1
- Anu Thubagere
- Henrike Niederholtmeyer
For drivers: If there is snow you'll need chains for your car; these can be bought online or at Wal-Mart. A couple of days before you can confirm the weather forecast.
SEE GOOGLE DOC.
Currently booked and used housing
SEE GOOGLE DOC FOR UPDATES AND ASSIGNMENTS
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Held by Zachary Sun for last minute stays and modifications, Conf 399SB123375
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Zachary Sun / Shaobin Guo / Yutaka Hori, Conf 399SB123409
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Conf #: 399SB123664
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Anandh / Ivan / Vipul (Confirmation Number: 399SB123673)
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 2/3 beds, Ania / Ioannis (Confirmation Number: 399SB124221)
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds (can fit 2 additional people), Vasu (Confirmation Number: 399SB124439)
- Curry Village Heated Cabin (fancy fancy): 3 beds, Victoria/ Anu/ Clare/ Yong? (Confirmation Number: 399SB124780)
Reservations to be cancelled by Feb. 20 (unless you need it!)
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Held by Zachary Sun for last minute stays and modifications, Conf 399SB123372
- Curry Village Heated Tent: 3 beds, Held by Zachary Sun for last minute stays and modifications, Conf 399SB123374
1) The majority of people will probably choose to live in Camp Curry. These are either tents or cabins.
- Unheated tent. If you dare to brave the cold! It will cost the night's low temperature (average 30's)./night + 11% tax. Can sleep 4 comfortably (1 double bed, 3 single beds). *These have cots and sheets, this is not camping but rather low-cost glamping*
- Heated tent. Will cost the night's low + $20. (max $60/night + 11% tax). Can sleep 3 comfortably (1 double bed, 2 single beds). *These have cots and sheets, this is not camping but rather low-cost glamping*
- Cabin w/o private bathroom. $153/night + 11% tax. 2 double beds.
- Cabin w/ private bathroom. $204/night + 11% tax. 2 double beds.
2) There is also housing at Yosemite Lodge and the Ahwahnee. These are pricier options though starting at $200/night, and you'll be a drive or shuttle away from Camp. See http://www.yosemitepark.com/the-ahwahnee.aspx or http://www.yosemitepark.com/yosemite-lodge.aspx.
Due to the amount of people involved, please arrange with your carpool all meals except for dinner on Friday night and dinner on Saturday night, which we will get at Camp Curry (though if you don't want to eat the stuff at Camp Curry, you can arrange that as well :))
Unclear if there will be snow. We plan on meeting at 9pm on Friday at Camp Curry to discuss events and activities for Saturday all day and Sunday morning!
Head and Hands
- Winter hat
- Gloves or mittens
- Scarf (optional)
Upper Body Layers
- 2 t-shirts
- Mid-weight long sleeve shirt (long underwear is best, cotton is okay)
- Sweater or sweatshirt
- Fleece jacket or wool sweater
- Winter coat and/or a rain coat or shell if it fits over the fleece jacket
- Underwear as needed
- Jeans are okay for skiing if you're not planning to fall down a lot, fine for wearing at night
- If you're not an expert skiier I'd recommend snow pants or fleece pants/jeans with synthetic athletic-style pants over them
- Synthetic long underwear bottoms (if you have them)
- 1 pair hiking boots or sturdy sneakers (if you want to snowshoe you should bring boots)
- Small backpack for day hiking/skiing
- The tents come with cots, but to supplment you can either bring blankets or a sleeping bag. (This is not necessarily necessary in the heated tents and cabins, but very much so in the unheated tents)! You can rent both from the Caltech Y for a small fee.
- 2 quart-sized water bottles
- 1 small flashlight or headlamp
- 1 toilet kit: toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap
- Towel for showering (though they should have 1 in case you forget)
- Sunscreen, lip balm, tissues
- Any medications you need
- Camera (optional)
- Board games to play at night (Pictionary, Cranium, etc.)
- Money for ski rentals, dinners, and food / gas in your carpools
These pictures are from the 2003 Murray Group winter trip to Yosemite.