Summer 2007 Murray Group Trip
By popular demand, the group trip will be to the Little Harbor Campsite on Catalina Island. Trip information can be found below. In order to get Catalina Express and shuttle reservations, we will need to have a confirmed list of participants by the end of July. We have reserved a 12-person campsite. In case there is more interest, we can change the reservation as long as there is availability; otherwise, it will have to be on a first-come basis.
Tentative and somewhat negotiable!
- Leave on Wednesday, August 22.
- Leave for Long Beach at 6:30am.
- Depart Long Beach Downtown Catalina Express port at 8:30am (check-in by 7:30am).
- Arrive at Avalon on Catalina Island at about 9:30am.
- Leave on Safari Bus for Little Harbor campsite at 10:30am.
- Arrive at Little Harbor at about noon.
- Camp at Little Harbor Wednesday and Thursday nights.
- Kayak and snorkel rentals available.
- Hiking available... may plan a trip up the mountain on Thursday.
- Leave from Avalon on Friday, August 24.
- Depart on Safari Bus at 10:30am (check-out time is 11am).
- Arrive in Avalon at about noon.
- Depart on Catalina Express for Long Beach Downtown Landing at 6pm (5pm check-in).
- Arrive at Long Beach Downtown Landing at about 7pm.
- Arrive in Pasadena at about 8pm.
Little Harbor, Catalina Island
The following activities are available at the Little Harbor campsite: snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, surfing (plus lessons), scuba diving, and swimming.
The following description has been copied from the Santa Catalina Island Company's website:
Rated "One of the Best Campgrounds in the West" by Sunset Magazine, Little Harbor Campground is perfect for campers who enjoy playing on the beach or in the water. Located about seven miles east of Two Harbors and 16 miles from Avalon, Little Harbor is a sandy, beachfront campground with lots of opportunities for recreation. Facilities and activities include BBQ and fire ring, showers, fresh water, chemical toilets, lockers, and kayak and snorkel gear rentals are available from Wet Spot Rentals daily.
The campsite costs $12/person/night.
Catalina Express offers several boat rides each day from two ports in Long Beach to Avalon on Catalina Island. We can get the round trip tickets for a discounted price of $50.50. The Downtown port in Long Beach has daily parking of $12/vehicle and an extensive schedule found here. The Queen Mary port in Long Beach has daily parking of $10/vehicle but a more limited schedule found here. The schedule for the return trip from Avalon can be found here.
Once in Avalon, we will need to take a shuttle to get to the campsite. The Safari Bus links Avalon, Little Harbor, the trailhead for Black Jack campsite (the mountain), the airport and Two Harbors. They must have a monopoly, because the one-way ticket between Avalon and Little Harbor is $16.75.
Interested People (order of preference)
- Julia Braman (1, 2, 3)
- Sawyer Fuller (1, 2, 3)
- Richard Murray (1, 2, 3)
- Mary Dunlop (1, 2, 3)
- Elisa Franco (1, 2, 3)
- Dom Rizzo (1, 2, 3)
- Andreas Ulbig (1, 2, 3)
- John Carson (2)
- Nok (2, 1)
- Mike Epstein (1, 2, 3)
- Julia Braman