ME132a TA-Instructor Meeting, Winter 2011
This page is used for facilitating discussion between the instructors and TAs of ME/CS 132a (Winter 2010). Please note that the content of this page is open to the public.
- How many: 1/week
- Due date: 1 week later.
- How to turn in: Shuo's mail box and/or Andrea's email address
- Office hours: Instructors -- 303 TOM, TA -- TBD
- Web page, mailing list
- Where to set up the web page: Murray Wiki redirected from IMSS (in progress)
- Upload: by TA
- Access: solutions -- Caltech only, others -- open to the public (should email Richard)
- Mailing list: email@example.com (in progress)
- Honor code
- Collaboration policy: wait for Larry (cf. CDS_101/110a,_Fall_2008)
- Use of other materials: other than solutions from past and/or other courses
- Textbooks/references: 'Larry will send the links
- Prerequisites: check with Richard & Joel, linear algebra, basis prob and stat.
- Programming skills: TBD
- Which robots we are going to use (ER-1 from Joel's lab vs Pioneers from JPL)
- ER-1: there is some maintenance to do. The unit I was using summer had a motor controller failure. We have bought the
replacement, but haven't installed yet (it is not a 5 minute thing, as the software driver has changed, so there will be a little tinkering required).
- New ER-1: new motor control module has player/stage interface?
- SICK: should be enough
- Stereo cameras: should be enough
- Need a Firewire ports
- Software stack.
- What interface/drivers do you want people to work with? (player, ROS, ...)
- What would be the format for data files? (HDF, carmen, ...)
- Labs organization
- For example, the first lab assignment: Should I give them a charged robot with installed drivers, and let them write the software to collect the log? Or should I write all the software and let them collect the log? Is this done as a group (all the students together), as many small groups, or once for individual students?
- First test on a simulator
- Matlab vs. Python