Group Hiking Trip
From Murray WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Mary and Zhipu are organizing Murray's Group backpacking trip this year. They tried to narrow down the details according to Richard's "Devil" schedule and other tradeoffs. A tremendous response were received from group members and other friends. The trip will happen on August 3 - August 6, 2006. The trail is Rainbow Mtn. - Sawtooth Pass (near Mineral King, in south part of Sequoia National Park). A permit for 15 people has been reserved. Please contact Zhipu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary (email@example.com) to confirm your participation.
- Start working out and keep yourself fit
- What to Bring: Packing List
- Menu Ideas: Trip Food
- Wilderness trip planning guide: Backcountry Basics
- August 3 (Thursday) - August 6 (Sunday), 2006
- Rainbow Mtn. - Sawtooth Pass
* Nearby City: Mineral King, CA (South Part of Sequoia National Park) * Length: about 30 miles * Trail Type: Loop * Skill Level: Moderate/Hard * Duration: Arrive Mineral King at Wed. night and use 4 days to finish the loop * Maps: Media: pdf * Driving Time: 5.5 hours * What the Guidebook Says:
"Two scenic passes over the Great Western Divide, forested canyons and
beautiful lakes with excellent fishing make this Sequoia National
Park's most popular loop from Mineral King."
- Day 0 (Aug. 2, Wed.): Driving down to Mineral King in the afternoon and stay in Cold Spring camping site.
- Day 1 (Aug. 3, Thu.): Mineral King to Lower Franklin Lake. 6 miles, 2480 ft ascent
- Day 2 (Aug. 4, Fri.): Lower Franklin Lake to Little Claire Lake. 7 miles, 1480 ascent, 1350 descent. Early in the day go over Franklin Pass (11,800 ft)
- Day 3 (Aug. 5, Sat.): Little Claire Lake to Upper Lost Canyon. 9 miles, 1400 ft ascent, 1200 ft descent
- Day 4 (Aug. 6, Sun.): Upper Lost Canyon to Mineral King. 8 miles, 1400 ft ascent, 3760 ft descent. Go over Sawtooth Pass (11,600 ft)
The following people have send their responses:
- Mary Dunlop (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2, T2
- Zhipu Jin (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2
- Richard Murray (Confirmed) - I like the Mineral King option, if it is available (less driving, more hiking). Prefer T2
- Domitilla Del Vecchio (Confirmed) - Prefer D2
- Jean Charles Delvenne (Confirmed) - Prefer D3
- Henrik Sandberg (Confirmed) - Prefer D3, D2
- Ziad Fares (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2
- Lars Cremean (Confirmed)- Prefer T2
- Sawyer Fuller (Confirmed)- Prefer T2
- Dave van Gogh (Confirmed)- Prefer D2, T2
If your name isn't on this list and you still want to join us, please send an e-mail to Zhipu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary (email@example.com).