Group Hiking Trip
Mary and Zhipu are organizing Murray's Group backpacking trip this year. They tried to narrow down the details according to Richard's "Devil" schedule and other tradeoffs. A tremendous response were received from group members and other friends. The trip will happen on August 3 - August 6, 2006. The trail is Rainbow Mtn. - Sawtooth Pass (near Mineral King, in south part of Sequoia National Park). A permit for 15 people has been reserved. Please contact Zhipu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary (email@example.com) to confirm your participation.
- Start working out and keep yourself fit
- What to Bring: Packing List
- Menu Ideas: Trip Food
- Wilderness trip planning guide: Backcountry Basics
- August 3 (Thursday) - August 6 (Sunday), 2006
- Rainbow Mtn. - Sawtooth Pass
* Nearby City: Mineral King, CA (South Part of Sequoia National Park) * Length: about 30 miles * Trail Type: Loop * Skill Level: Moderate/Hard * Duration: Arrive Mineral King at Wed. night and use 4 days to finish the loop * Maps: Media: pdf * Driving Time: 5.5 hours * What the Guidebook Says:
"Two scenic passes over the Great Western Divide, forested canyons and
beautiful lakes with excellent fishing make this Sequoia National
Park's most popular loop from Mineral King."
- Day 0 (Aug. 2, Wed.): Driving down to Mineral King in the afternoon and stay in Cold Spring camping site.
- Day 1 (Aug. 3, Thu.): Mineral King to Lower Franklin Lake. 6 miles, 2480 ft ascent
- Day 2 (Aug. 4, Fri.): Lower Franklin Lake to Little Claire Lake. 7 miles, 1480 ascent, 1350 descent. Early in the day go over Franklin Pass (11,800 ft)
- Day 3 (Aug. 5, Sat.): Little Claire Lake to Upper Lost Canyon. 9 miles, 1400 ft ascent, 1200 ft descent
- Day 4 (Aug. 6, Sun.): Upper Lost Canyon to Mineral King. 8 miles, 1400 ft ascent, 3760 ft descent. Go over Sawtooth Pass (11,600 ft)
The following people have send their responses:
- Mary Dunlop (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2, T2
- Zhipu Jin (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2
- Richard Murray (Confirmed) - I like the Mineral King option, if it is available (less driving, more hiking). Prefer T2
- Domitilla Del Vecchio (Confirmed) - Prefer D2
- Jean Charles Delvenne (Confirmed) - Prefer D3
- Henrik Sandberg (Confirmed) - Prefer D3, D2
- Ziad Fares (Confirmed) - Prefer D1, D2
- Elisa Franco (with Stefano) (Confirmed)- Prefer D2, T2
- Lars Cremean (Confirmed)- Prefer T2
- Sawyer Fuller (Confirmed)- Prefer T2
- Dave van Gogh (Confirmed)- Prefer D2, T2
- Has: stove (whisper lite), 3-man tent (pretty heavy), compass, water jug, trowel
- Eats: anything
- Sleeps: anywhere (tarp is fine)
- Drives: pickup truck - seats 2 + lots o' gear. Lars and I are driving up Wed @ 5pm from Chatsworth. I can come to Pasadena Tuesday night to pick up gear if needed.
If your name isn't on this list and you still want to join us, please send an e-mail to Zhipu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary (email@example.com).