Difference between revisions of "Cds110b WI14"
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
| 4 Feb <br> 6 Feb
| 4 Feb <br> 6 Feb
Latest revision as of 03:04, 22 February 2014
CDS 110b: Introduction to Control Theory
An introduction to analysis and design of feedback control systems, including classical control theory in the time and frequency domain. Modeling of physical, biological, and information systems using linear and nonlinear differential equations. Stability and performance of interconnected systems, including use of block diagrams, Bode plots, the Nyquist criterion, and Lyapunov functions. Robustness and uncertainty management in feedback systems through stochastic and deterministic methods. Introductory random processes, Kalman filtering, and norms of signals and systems. The first term of this course is taught concurrently with CDS 101, but includes additional lectures, reading, and homework that is focused on analytical techniques for design and synthesis of control systems
- 8 Jan 2014: web page creation, uploaded lecture 1 material
Tentative Lecture Schedule
|Robustness, fragility, complexity and control I
Inverted pendulum revisited
|Discrete time stochastic LQR
|Continuous time LQR
SDPs, duality and LQR
|Discrete time output feedback LQG
|Modeling, Robustness/efficiency tradeoffs
Course Text and References
The main course text is
- J. Doyle, B. Francis, A. Tannenbaum, Feedback Control Theory, Macmillan, 1992.
- R. M. Murray, Optimization-Based Control, Preprint, 2008.
You may find the following texts useful as well:
- K. J. Åström and R. M. Murray, Feedback Systems, Princeton University Press, 2008.
- B. Friedland, Control System Design: An Introduction to State-Space Methods, Dover, 2004.
- F. L. Lewis and V. L. Syrmos, Optimal Control, Second Edition, Wiley-IEEE, 1995. (Google Books)
- A. D. Lewis, A Mathematical Approach to Classical Control, 2003.
1. M Chiang, SH Low, AR Calderbank, JC. Doyle (2007) Layering As Optimization Decomposition, PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE, Volume: 95 Issue: 1 Jan 2007 link
2. Martins NC, Dahleh MA, Doyle JC (2007) Fundamental Limitations of Disturbance Attenuation in the Presence of Side Information, IEEE Trans Auto Control, Feb 2007 link
3. Bowman, Balch, Artaxo, Bond, Carlson, Cochrane, D’Antonio, DeFries, Doyle, et al. Fire in the Earth System, Science, Vol. 324 no. 5926 pp. 481-484 24 April 2009 link
4. Willinger W, Alderson D, and Doyle JC (2009) Mathematics and the internet: A source of enormous confusion and great potential. Notices Amer Math Soc 56:586-599. link
5. Alderson DL, Doyle JC (2010) Contrasting views of complexity and their implications for network-centric infrastructures. IEEE Trans Systems Man Cybernetics—Part A: Syst Humans 40:839-852. link
6. Gayme DF, McKeon BJ, Papachristodoulou P, Bamieh B, Doyle JC (2010) A streamwise constant model of turbulence in plane Couette flow, J Fluid Mech, vol 665, pp 99-119 link
7. H. Sandberg, J. C. Delvenne, J. C. Doyle. (2011) On Lossless Approximations, the Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem, and Limitations of Measurements, IEEE Trans Auto Control, Feb 2011
8. J Lavaei, A Babakhani, A Hajimiri, and JC Doyle (2011), Solving Large-Scale Hybrid Circuit-Antenna Problems, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 374-387, Feb. 2011. link
9. Chandra F, Buzi G, Doyle JC (2011) Glycolytic oscillations and limits on robust efficiency. Science, Vol 333, pp 187-192. link
10. JC Doyle, ME Csete (2011) Architecture, Constraints, and Behavior, P Natl Acad Sci USA, vol. 108, Sup 3 15624-15630 link
11. Gayme DF, McKeon BJ, Bamieh B, Papachristodoulou P, Doyle JC (2011) Amplification and Nonlinear Mechanisms in Plane Couette Flow, Physics of Fluids, V23, Issue 6, 065108 link
12. Page, M. T., D. Alderson, and J. Doyle (2011), The magnitude distribution of earthquakes near Southern California faults, J. Geophys. Res., 116, B12309, doi:10.1029/2010JB007933.
13. Namas R, Zamora R, An, G, Doyle, J et al, (2012) Sepsis: Something old, something new, and a systems view, Journal Of Critical Care Volume: 27 Issue: 3 link
14. Chen, L; Ho, T; Chiang, M, Low S; Doyle J,(2012) Congestion Control for Multicast Flows With Network Coding, IEEE Trans On Information Theory Volume: 58 Issue: 9 Pages: 5908-5921 link